Let’s keep it simple. I said it would be a “names only” mock but I added just a few last day/week tabs under the rumor mill and then continued to go names only through the first 28 picks. For some contrast, you can check back to our recent mocks dating back to Mock Draft 1.0 released on Friday, June 30; and Mock Draft 2.0 released on Friday, July 7.
– Pittsburgh has been in deep and late contact with the parties of Wyatt Langford, Max Clark, Paul Skenes, and Walker Jenkins about under slot figures that would better position themselves financially through the course of the draft. It’s a common thread for the team selecting first to find the bridge between talent and finances and what best suits them. This rumor is based on an unconfirmed rumor of Dylan Crews wanting a $10 million signing bonus, but it’s made rounds enough to possibly have merit and make this rumor more founded. Washington, Detroit, and Texas have all positioned themselves for a scenario of Crews being available, with Texas having the least faith he will still be around and Detroit being his floor. Langford is currently seen as the player most likely to be selected first over Crews, but no one has ruled out a scenario of Crews still being taken first overall. Jenkins has gained traction, but in the industry believes that is agent folly to keep him from falling further down into the late top ten though that is not a reflection of the player or talent (teams love Jenkins’ makeup).
– Jacob Gonzalez has seen a rise due to how he fairs positively on a draft-model. His draft range a week-or-two ago was estimated from 6-18 with his fellow second-tier college hitters. He now has multiple suitors inside the top five with Detroit at No. 3 possibly seeing him as an option if Crews and Langford are both off the board, and a heavy attachment to Minnesota at No. 5.
– Rhett Lowder and Chase Dollander have become even more coveted because of the lack of college pitching at the top of the draft, with neither expected to be taken outside the top 10, and Dollander now getting more mentioned above Lowder which may be attributed to bonus figure. Noble Meyer is also all over the board for the same reason but with the risky prep pitcher demographic attached and is seeing his range from seven onwards.
– There are a handful of teams picking around Miami (No. 10) with the belief the Marlins are a candidate to go “off-the-board” with a heavily under slotted deal.
– Colin Houck has long-been attached to the Arizona Diamondbacks at No. 12, but if he gets beyond that point, it could be a free fall into the 20’s or sandwich round.
– Blake Mitchell is a common name that could be floated down to the sandwich round or second round as a mass over slot signing.
1. Pittsburgh Pirates – Wyatt Langford, OF, Florida
2. Washington Nationals – Paul Skenes, RHP, LSU
3. Detroit Tigers – Dylan Crews, OF LSU
4. Texas Rangers – Max Clark, OF, Franklin HS (IN)
5. Minnesota Twins – Jacob Gonzalez, SS, Ole Miss
6. Oakland Athletics – Jacob Wilson, SS, Grand Canyon
7. Cincinnati Reds – Walker Jenkins, OF, North Brunswick HS (NC)
8. Kansas City Royals – Kyle Teel, C, Virginia
9. Colorado Rockies – Rhett Lowder, RHP, Wake Forest
10. Miami Marlins – Brayden Taylor, 3B, TCU
11. Los Angeles Angels – Chase Dollander, RHP, Tennessee
12. Arizona Diamondbacks – Colin Houck, SS, Parkview HS (GA)
13. Chicago Cubs – Matt Shaw, SS, Maryland
14. Boston Red Sox – Aidan Miller, 3B, Mitchell HS (FL)
15. Chicago White Sox – Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami
16. San Francisco Giants – Tommy Troy, SS, Stanford
17. Baltimore Orioles – Arjun Nimmala, SS, Strawberry Crest HS (FL)
18. Milwaukee Brewers – Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida
19. Tampa Bay Rays – Bryce Eldridge, RHP/1B, Madison HS (VA)
20. Toronto Blue Jays – Enrique Bradfield Jr., OF, Vanderbilt
21. St. Louis Cardinals – Nolan Schanuel, 1B/OF, Florida Atlantic
22. Seattle Mariners – Noble Meyer, RHP, Jesuit HS (OR)
23. Cleveland Guardians – Brock Wilken, 3B, Wake Forest
24. Atlanta Braves – Colt Emerson, SS, Glenn HS (OH)
25. San Diego Padres – Chase Davis, OF, Arizona
26. New York Yankees – Sammy Stafura, SS, Panas HS (NY)
27. Philadelphia Phillies – Charlee Soto, RHP, Reborn Christian HS (FL)
28. Houston Astros – Ty Floyd, RHP, LSU