LOS ANGELES – LAFC will be playing in the MLS Cup for the first time in franchise history but the team sent an email to season ticket holders and fans this week that there would be no parking available for the game due to USC playing at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on the same day.
“There will be NO PARKING SPACES AVAILABLE IN OR AROUND EXPOSITION PARK AND BANC OF CALIFORNIA STADIUM for fans attending MLS Cup,” read the email from the team. “Fans must arrive to the stadium via Metro, LAFC Park & Ride Shuttles from Dodger Stadium or Rideshare apps.”
The MLS Cup between LAFC and Philadelphia Union will start at 1 p.m. at Banc of Calfornia Stadium while USC’s homecoming game against Cal at the Coliseum will start at 7:30 p.m. but USC has priority and Trojan fans will be tailgating in and around Exposition Park all day; forcing LAFC fans to look for parking and transportation alternatives.
“In one of the greatest sports cities in the world, it’s not surprising that we find ourselves in a unique and challenging situation with same-day events in Expo Park” LAFC Co-President & CBO Larry Freedman said. “We are fortunate to be able to work with our partners at Metro and the Dodgers to provide the best possible alternatives for our fans and supporters attending the MLS Cup on Saturday.”
The MLS Cup is sold out and the cheapest general admission ticket to stand in the supporter’s section is over $600. USC, ranked No. 9 in the first College Football Playoff rankings, is expecting a big crowd at the Coliseum for homecoming with the cheapest tickets selling for $75.
Many LAFC fans were upset by the news that there would be no parking for them at their home stadium and feeling like “second class citizens” on the biggest day in franchise history.
Other fans wondered if they could just show up and, ahem, buy parking for the USC game. If those fans are just going to the MLS Cup at 1 p.m. and not staying for the USC game at 7:30 p.m., they would likely be out of that parking spot three hours before kickoff of the USC game anyway.
For fans that want to take the metro, rideshare or go to Dodger Stadium, LAFC provided the following details:
- LAFC encourages fans to plan their trip with the Transit app or Metro Trip Planner online.
- From the Expo Park/USC station, walk along Kinsey Drive or Victory Walk to South Coliseum Drive towards Banc of California Stadium.
- The Metro Expo Line can be easily accessed with connections at the 7th Street/Metro Center in downtown Los Angeles to the Metro Red/Purple lines, and at the Pico Station to the Metro Blue line. Fans using the Metro Gold Line can make an easy transfer at Union station to the Metro Red/Purple lines for a connection to the Expo Line.
- It is recommended to purchase a round-trip fare at the beginning of trips to avoid lines when the games are over. Each person, including children over the age of 5, must have a valid TAP card and remember to tap before each boarding.
Metro E Line (Expo) Rail service will run every 12 minutes on Saturday to Expo Park/USC Station from Santa Monica
- Fans can drive and park in the following lots along the Expo Park line:
- Expo/Bundy Station – 12201 Exposition Blvd.
- Expo/Sepulveda Station – 11216 Exposition Blvd.
- Culver City Station – 8840 National Blvd., Culver City
- La Cienega/Jefferson Station – 5664 W. Jefferson Blvd.
- Expo/Crenshaw Station – 3412 Crenshaw Blvd.
Silver Line Bus Rapid Transit Lines 910/950 will run every 15 minutes to I-110/37thSt. Station.
- Fans can drive and park in the following lots along the Silver Line:
- El Monte Station – 3501 Santa Anita Ave., El Monte
- Union Station East Garage – Access from N. Vignes St.
- Harbor Gateway Transit Center – 731 W. 182nd St., Gardena
Metro Bus Lines Below All Serve Bus Stops Near Banc of California Stadium
- #2 – Sunset Bl/Alvarado St.
- #40 – MLK/Hawthorne Blvd.
- #81 – Figueroa St.
- #102 – Exposition Blvd.
- #204 – Vermont Ave.
- #754 – Vermont Ave.
PARK & RIDE SHUTTLES – DODGER STADIUM
Fans can park in Parking Lot 1 at Dodger Stadium
- Drive to Dodger Stadium and enter Sunset Gate A
- 1000 Vin Scully Ave
- Los Angeles, CA 90012
- Buses will shuttle fans on a constant loop to Banc of California Stadium and back to Dodger Stadium after the match
- Lot 1 opens at 9:00 am
- NO Tailgating at Dodger Stadium
RIDESHARE – UBER & LYFT
Uber & Lyft will pick up and drop fans off at:
The corner of Vermont & Exposition Blvd.